Sunday, October 05, 2008

What we've been up to...

Hi Chamberlain family! Just wanted to drop a quick note and let you all know what we've been up to...

Kevin is entering the 2nd week of his "medicine" (the medical reference for Internal Medicine) rotation at Maricopa Medical Center, which, according to him, is in the ghetto. So far, he's treated lots of interesting patients, including a prison inmate with pica--the weird disease where you want to eat everything. The guy's kind of a regular at MMC--he's eaten concrete, screws, whatever he can get his hands on. Kev's also getting to know the serious ins-and-outs of alcoholic withdrawal. One of his patients was having serious hallucinations. That's enough to make you commit to the W of W forever! He's been leaving even before I wake up at 5:00 for work! The hours are pretty serious, but he's learning a lot and loving the "free food" at the hospital cafeteria; he's never eaten better. :) This is his fourth rotation this year so far; it's crazy to think how fast this year is flying by.

I'm finishing up the first nine weeks of school starting tomorrow. My students this year are great! My juniors are just finishing up the novel Speak, and my freshmen are doing literary analysis. I'm sure you also know that I'm working on my thesis, which is on Writing Center Work, and I hope to finish my MA in December. I will submit the rough draft of my thesis to my committee chair hopefully by Friday, which should get me moving on the defense process. Exciting! Anyway, with school, work, and part-time stuff, I'm just as busy as Kevin; we hardly ever see each other. Hopefully that will change soon.

We miss you all! Hope we see you soon...

Love,

Kevin & Kalie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great that things are going well, but seem like maybe too busy. Hope both of you can catch your breath soon.

Kathy said...

Thanks for the update. We really can't imagine how busy you guys must be. We are proud of both of you and are anxious to see you.